This Saturday, August 15th, the ARLGP will be participating in the national #ClearTheShelters initiative organized by NBC and Telemundo.
Taking place in shelters all over the country, #ClearTheShelters aims to send as many animals as possible into new, loving homes while promoting adoption awareness in our local community. NECN is our local media partner for the event. They will be broadcasting live from the ARLGP throughout the day to capture these happy adoptions and new family unions!
At the ARLGP, we will have 150 animals available on Saturday from 9am-3pm. Kittens, puppies, cats, dogs, bunnies and critters will be looking for their new beginning. Adoption fees for the day will be based on donation—you name your own adoption fee.
We strongly suggest you arrive early. We also ask that you be prepared to wait a bit to meet the animal you are interested in, and to be patient with us as we try to rehome as many of our furry friends as possible. The time of the process (from meeting an animal to finalizing the adoption paperwork) will take longer than it typically does at the ARLGP because we will be processing a high volume of adoptions.
Below are some frequently asked questions about the event. Please take a moment to scan through, so you are as prepared as possible to join us for #ClearTheShelters! We will see you Saturday!
Clear the Shelter FAQ’s:
- When should I arrive?
Our doors open at 9am. We anticipate a large turnout of adopters. Come early and get in line.
- I saw an animal on your website that I want to adopt on Saturday. Can I put that animal on hold to meet?
No, all adoptions are first-come, first-served. This means to meet a specific animal you are interested in, you should plan to arrive early. However, we cannot guarantee that animal will still be available when it is your turn to speak with an adoption counselor. Please know that we will have a wide variety of animals available, and that we will likely have a pet that will fit your lifestyle and family.
- What are the adoption fees?
All adoption fees will be based on what the adopter chooses to donate for their new, four-legged friend (no animals will be adopted for $0).
To help adopters understand the amount of money we invest in each animal, here are some figures:
- The average cost of care by the ARLGP for a dog is $488.11.
- The average cost of care by the ARLGP for a cat is $232.42
- The average cost of care by the ARLGP for a small animal is $222.50 These amounts include the cost of medical examinations; spay/neuter procedures, vaccinations, heartworm and flea treatments and routine medical treatments. These fees do not cover emergency surgeries, diagnostic tests, or prescriptions. We encourage adopters to take into consideration the level of care animals receive at the ARLGP and the life-saving work we provide to our community when making their adoption donation.
- I want to adopt a dog, and have a dog at home. Should I bring my dog in to meet the new dog?
Yes, if you are interested in meeting a dog to adopt, and have other canines at home, please bring the canines and an extra person with you. This will allow the canines to wait outside with the extra human, and the adopter to go through the process.
- I want to see the all available animals before Saturday -will they be on your website?
A large representation (but not all) of the animals available will be on our website Friday at 6pm. We encourage you to come in, speak with an adoption counselor about what type of pet you are looking for, and meet animals that fit your family.
- Where do I park?
When you arrive our parking attendants will direct you to our event parking and we will also have a bake sale table to provide refreshments to visitors.